Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions (Landlords)

I am a property owner and would like to rent to HCV program participants. How do I list my property?
The HCV (Section 8) Property Listing Form is available to download or you can pick up a copy of the form located in the main lobby of our offices.

How do I select a person to rent my property?
Verify that the individual has a voucher by requesting a copy of the voucher.

Screen families who apply. Consider family background factors such as rent and bill-paying history, history of caring for property, respecting the rights of others to peaceful enjoyment of the property, compliance with essential conditions of tenancy, whether the family is engaging in drug-related criminal activity or other criminal activity that might threaten others.

Once my property is rented what are my responsibilities as a landlord?
As a landlord, you have the following responsibilities:

  • Screen families who apply for tenancy, to determine if they will be good renters.
  • Comply with the terms of the Housing Assistance Payment Contract, executed with the PHA.
  • Conduct normal landlord functions during the term of the lease.
  • Comply with all applicable fair housing laws and discriminate against no one.
  • Maintain the housing unit by making necessary repairs in a timely manner.
  • Must adhere to provisions on modifications to a dwelling unit occupied or to be occupied by a person (s) with disabilities.
  • May not lease property to a relative (parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sister, or brother) of any member of the assisted family, unless approved by PHA for handicap accessibility.
  • Lease may not require more than sixty (60) days moving notice from tenant.
  • Collect rent due from the assisted family and otherwise comply with and enforce provisions of the dwelling lease.
  • Security deposit cannot exceed the amount charged to unassisted tenants.
  • Payment for owner-supplied utilities and services.

When will I get paid for allowing the participant to live in my property?
HAP checks are issued between the 1st and the 5th of each month as long as the participant remains in good standing with the program and the unit continues to meet HUD Housing Quality Standards.

Who determines the rent for my property when I rent it to a program participant?
The owner states the contract rent for the property. The PHA will determine if the requested rent amount by the owner is reasonable. It must not exceed the rent charged for comparable, unassisted units in the same market area.

Are there special circumstances for disabled individuals?
Persons with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation in order to have equal access to the HCV program. A reasonable accommodation is a change, exception or adjustment to a rule, policy, practice or service.